This is construction engineering work supervising, through technical subordinates, the inspection of public works construction projects to assure good workmanship and contractors' adherence to plans, specifications and contract requirements. The employee coordinates the work of inspection units under their supervision and provides engineering interpretations to resolve construction disputes. Work is performed under the direction of the Director of Design and Construction. Work may require light physical effort.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Coordinates the work of field units inspecting construction projects; assigns projects to provide an equal distribution of work; develops and inspection schedule which allows for the most efficient utilization of time and which permits the observation of contractors' work at times defects would be most apparent.
- Conducts pre‑construction job meetings to review all aspects of construction projects; indicates priorities for the completion of various aspects of the work; reviews sections of the plans and specifications that may present interpretation or construction problems; determines if contractors' proposals meet structural and safety requirements; reviews and approves all sub‑contractors and materials suppliers to be used by the primary contractor in carrying out the work.
- Supervises on‑site inspections of all phases of the construction projects while in progress to determine that specific phases of the work are performed in accordance with predetermined outlines; interprets the plans and specifications and determines whether the intent of the plans and specifications has been properly carried out; resolves disputes with contractors regarding the intent of the Authority on a specific phase in a contract requirement; confers with immediate supervisor to determine the appropriateness of proposed changes.
- Makes changes in contracts or plans to compensate for field conditions that do not affect engineering or design integrity of the project; stops work and confers with supervisor, design engineers and/or consultants to resolve changes involving engineering of design integrity of the project; prepares change orders; supervises final inspections of construction projects.
- Assists in the preparation of drawings, engineering designs, specifications, quantity calculations, cost estimates, engineering computations and related engineering work in the office as well as the field.
- Replies to a variety of correspondence from contractors, consulting engineers, governmental agencies and organizations and others regarding the interpretation of specifications, policy determination, approval of materials and equipment and workmanship standards; prepares correspondence regarding subsidized programs; notifies agencies of work changes.
- Supervises the review of shop drawings for compliance with the contract plans and specifications and reviews and supervises the review of requests for revisions of the plans and specifications.
- Reviews and checks monthly estimates of work completed; examines estimates and reports to determine whether all facets of construction have been adhered to before authorizing payment; reviews and approves contract work estimates used as basis for partial payment. Reviews daily, weekly and/or monthly reports governing inspectional activities; schedules meetings during the project to work out solutions to problems encountered and to interpret contract requirements.
- Investigates and resolves complaints from the general public, contractors and others pertaining to damages or inconvenience created by construction projects; meets with complaintants and contractors to obtain details and examine the site of the damages; analyzes all data and makes recommendations to resolve the complaint.
- Uses personal computers with database and/or project management software to enter data, produce forms, and prepare reports.
- Performs duties described above on the following types of engineering projects: Recreation, curbs, sidewalks, trees, housing, water and sewer structures facilities and equipment, highways, public works structures and installation and other civil engineering phases of public works projects.
Desired Skills and Experience
Training and Experience:
Completion of a bachelor's degree program at an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering in the area of specialization and eight years of civil engineering experience inspecting multi‑disciplined construction projects, two years of which has been above the full performance level in any of the following areas:
1.) Construction engineering work supervising, through technical subordinates, the inspection of multi‑disciplined construction projects to assure good workmanship and contractors' adherence to plans, specifications and contract requirements in the area of specialization.
2.) Engineering work in a staff capacity reviewing and recommending the revision of designs, plans, specifications, and other contract documents for engineering feasibility and adherence to standards and practices in the area of specialization;
Or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience which has included completion of a two year program in an acceptable area of engineering or engineering technology as an educational minimum.
Or completion of a two year program with major course work in building construction technology, architectural design or civil engineering technology at an approved technical institute or an accredited college or university AND ten years of experience performing technical field work inspecting all phases of multi‑disciplined construction projects to assure that the work performed by contractors is in compliance with contractors, plans and specifications and to insure good workmanship, two years of which have been performing technical field work at the supervisory level
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering in the area of specialization as applied to the construction of public works; considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of construction in the area of specialization as applied in inspecting and testing materials used in public works construction projects; considerable knowledge of the strength and use of construction materials and equipment; considerable knowledge of engineering mathematics as applied to construction projects; considerable knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
- Ability to implement public works construction programs, develop construction standards and organize procedures; ability to supervise field assistants in the inspection of all phases of public works construction projects for conformance to contract requirements, plans and specifications; ability to evaluate construction modifications for soundness of engineering features and economic feasibility.
- Ability to analyze construction and specification interpretation problems and to exercise sound judgment in their resolution; ability to analyze data and explain contract deviation to contractors and to resolve disputes firmly and tactfully; ability to review and analyze construction cost proposals for construction change orders and to negotiate a final cost with the contractor; ability to review and analyze contractor's proposed work schedule prepared either by Conventional or Critical Path Method scheduling.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, contractors, and others; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the conditions required of a position in this class.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Once hired, the employee must become a resident of the city of Philadelphia within one year of appointment and maintain residency status in the city of Philadelphia as a condition of employment.
SALARY RANGE: $61,641 - $71,642
ALSO INCLUDES: Competitive Starting Salary, Superior Health Insurance, Generous Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation, and Generous Paid Leave and Holidays
To be considered for this job, please submit a cover letter AND resume to email@example.com.